Creative Writing Workshop


I attended a creative writing workshop in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah last Saturday. It was organized by Jude Day, president of Society of Performing Arts Kota Kinabalu Sabah(SPARKS), The invited speaker was Robert Raymer, a Sarawak-based American writer who is a lecturer of creative writing at Universiti Sarawak Malaysia. He is the author of 'Lovers and Strangers Revisited', 'Tropical Affairs', 'The Boy Who Shot Santa' and 'Spirit of Malaysia'.

It only took me ten minutes to get to Wisma Anglican, the workshop venue from my hotel on shanks's pony. I felt honored to have met Mr. Robert Raymer in person.He exuded a quiet air of confidence and patience. I bought a copy of his 'Lovers and Strangers Revisited' and got it autographed by him. I was thrilled and could not help smiling from ear to ear.

I picked up a lot of knowledge during the workshop. First, Robert Raymer expounded the essence of creative writing.Next, he showed us how to organize our thoughts using the techniques of clustering and listing. Then, he had us write short paragraphs on various themes . We were given only five minutes for each writing task. He wanted us to use our creative and critical thinking skills to the maximum. After that, he told us the do's and don'ts of writing a good story. He also gave us some handouts on the techniques of creative writing. I would photocopy them for my students.

I faced two problems during the workshop. First, I had trouble understanding the writer's rapid-fire American English. Second, I was not used to writing within a time limit. However, they did not kill my enthusiasm. I was able to grasp the gist.

Before the workshop ended, the organizer, Jude Day,gave us a special assignment. Each of us was encouraged to write a story and present it to Robert Raymer for improvement purposes in a follow-up workshop. We all agreed to take up the challenge. The date for the workshop had yet to be confirmed but it would be held in August.The English lady sitting next to me told me that she was highly inspired by the speaker. I could not agree more with her. He could really teach with panache.

When I returned to Miri, I told my colleagues about the wonderful moments I had had during the workshop. However, some of them poured cold water on me, saying that the workshop did not guarantee good results. They found creative writing an unproductive indulgence which was a waste of time. I was disappointed with them. As language teachers, we ought to attend courses like this to improve ourselves.

I applied Raymer's 'Tree Methodology' in my teaching this morning. My students loved it very much. It is a good learner-centred activity suitable for students of all ages. A few students amazed me with their well-chosen vocabulary like 'susurration', 'Interwoven branches' 'sprawling branches' and 'taperless trunk'.

In a few days, I will start writing a story in preparation for the August workshop .

Comments

Thanks for the post! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Don't forget to compare the stories in Lovers and Strangers Revisited to the blog The Story Behind the Story, for extra insights into a writer's mind. Some universities and private colleges use it as teaching aides, too. http://thestorybehindthestoryoflsr.blogspot.com/

It's sad that your colleagues feel that way. That's their problem, though. How can they inspire their students if they can't even get inspired themselves? Worse, they tear other people down! A bad attitude gets you exactly what you want, bad results...
Also, glad to hear you could apply "Tree Methodology". It does work!

Maybe you can arrange to bring me to Miri so I can inspire your colleagues!

I added a link to your post inside my blog as well. http://borneoexpatwriter.blogspot.com/2011/04/creative-writing-workshoptwo-in-kota.html
sintaicharles said…
Borneo Expat Writer: Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to invite you to come to Miri. I will discuss with my Principal on the arrangement.

Aishah: Thanks....
A Bookaholic said…
omg!! hw i wish i was there :( i'd love to attend a really good creative writing workshop one day! any ways you could share the 'tree methodology' with us? :)
Tina said…
Hi! I'm prowling here... came to see what you wrote about the workshop. Great post and photo!
So you're starting your short story! I'm reading 'Lovers and Strangers' for inspiration. Well, good luck with your stories and... have fun with your students!
rugs said…
nice. a creative writing workshop is on my list of wanna-do's too!
sintaicharles said…
Bookaholic: The next workshop is on 13 August, at Wisma Anglican. You may come if you are interested.

Tina: Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to reading your stories.

rugs: You can write good stories. Your English is very good.
A Bookaholic said…
oh thx! do you have d details yet like what time and what will d workshop cover?
sintaicharles said…
Bookaaholic: I am not so sure about the time. Waiting for the organizer to inform me. There is one condition in joining the workshop-- you should write a story and a non-fiction and bring them to the workshop.
Bookaholic. The details for the August workshop in KK are still being worked out. I may do two workshops, one in August whereby each participant will produce two pieces of writing, one non-fiction, one fiction. Then in November, after they have had time to revise these, they can bring one or another piece (the opening pages) to the second event for critiquing from an editor and a short story contest judge's point of view.

I'm also open to traveling to other locations if arrangements can be made. Here is my contact: robert@borneoexpatwriter.com
A Bookaholic said…
Hello Robert! Thx for the info,...guess I'd have to wait till you make your appearance here again in KL... :( and thx for your email add! :)
Al-Manar said…
As I said in my blog in response to your comment, I was here earlier but somewhat hesitant to me ke the request. I can be contacted by email almanar@pd.jaring.my. You only have to use poatal address then it will be: 9419 Kg Pengkalan Maras, 21020 K Terengganu. I would be much grateful if you could oblige me. Thank you.
SFGEMS said…
Hi there!

What a lovely surprise to find your blog and an even more delightful discovery to see that I am on your blog list!!!!!!

This makes my day! Thanks so much. I'll be back! :D
sintaicharles said…
Thanks for visiting my blog, Steest.
came via Sarawakiana site. She's my school "big sister".

You said your dad is a Cantonese Hakka. Wonder if we are sweet potato relatives. My mum's that.

What are you attending the creative writing for?
sintaicharles said…
Thanks for visiting my site, Ann. Sarawakiana was my lecturer in Maktab Perguruan Sarawak.

I am Long-Man Hakka(Dragon-gate Hakka), a very rare Hakka tribe in China.

I attended the creative writing course to improve my writing skill. Writing stories is my newly-cultivated hobby.
Rahmah said…
great blog u have here! i hope u'll share the story once it is ready :)
sintaicharles said…
Thanks for visiting me, Rahmah

Popular posts from this blog

Article on My Art Lessons

My Life as a Boarder at St. Patrick's